Thursday, July 12, 2007

Leveling the Praying Field

Interesting that the Democrats are finally waking up to the notion of spirituality. They have finally realized that religion can bring in the vote. How many Evangelicals will go with the Dems? Hard to tell. I think it would be healthy if the religious right comes to the conclusion that Jesus is neither a Democrat or Republican. Vote morals and ethics, not political party. (In this case the lesser of two evils).

A president has to be a preacher of sorts, instructing, consoling, summoning citizens to sacrifice for some common good. But candidates are competitors, which means they seldom manage to talk about faith in a way that doesn't disturb people, doesn't divide them, doesn't nail campaign posters on the gates of heaven. Republicans have been charged with exploiting religious voters, Democrats with ignoring them: Hillary Clinton's voice gets tight as she recalls the mocking response she received when she first spoke in spiritual terms about the longing that people felt to invest in causes larger than self-interest. "I talked about my faith years ago and was pilloried for it," she says, and it is hard to tell if she is more impatient with the conservatives who presumed they held the patent on piety or with the liberals whose worship of diversity all but excluded the devout. Read More.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I worry just as much about Dems taking on a "religious" mantle, as I did about the GOP trying to treat evangelicals as reliable GOP voters.

the rhetorical query.....Would Jesus be a Dem or a Republican?, is so silly. I suspect that when measured in the eyes of God, despite both parties are loved, however, both also fall short and undeserving of an endorsement.

I believe in the separation of Church and State. As long as, no one infringes on my freedom of religion services, I vote for those who will benefit society the most in their government service. I may not agree with everything they stand for, and they may even be a different religion than I, but they must be forthright about their principles and consistent in their actions based upon those principles.

Ron Ballew said...

Agreed