Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Via Crucis Grid Blog: His Third Fall
















Courtesy of The Way of the Cross.


Station 9

He is almost there. Breathless and speechless, Jesus moves on. Every now and then he is pushed by the guarding soldiers. Every now and then someone shouts out from the crowd. They are already there.

They had prepared the necessary tools for the crucifixion. He can already hear the screams of the two other prisoners who had left the fortress with him. They are crucifying them.

The soldiers are running around keeping the people at bay. Others are guarding the northern side of Calvary lest someone might fall in the garden below. The Jewish guards and the members of the Sanhedrin together with some elders of the people are there too. They wanted to make sure that this impostor gets what he merits.

And again he stumbles. They laugh at him and mock him. The soldiers push him. But he does not give up.

He rises again, steadies himself, walks the last metres separating him from his final destination - the Place of the Skull - Golgotha (Jn 19,17) and softly prays: "The Lord is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid? When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident. One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek him in his temple" (Ps. 27,1-4)

A Prayer

Dear Jesus, here I am wondering what has happened to all those with whom you had shared your life during the ministry. I am wondering why Peter denied you, why Judas betrayed you, why all the others left you, except for John. I am wondering why Peter had to hear the cock's crow to realise he was mistaken. Was it not enough to hear your voice warning him?

And while Judas despaired, Peter repented. Yes, Lord Jesus Christ, looking at your disciples I realize how weak I happen to be and how many a time I left you too, sometimes acting cowardly like Peter to avoid risking my "reputation". Other times I went even further and betrayed your love!

All this, Lord, you carried on your shoulders to help me rise again. Please Lord, fill my heart with strength so that whenever I feel like falling I realize you want me to stand upright in your path!

More Via Crucis stations


No comments: