Friday, May 09, 2008

Summary of An Evangelical Manifesto

I believe that this will be a very important document. The politicization of Evangelicalism has not been healthy for the Church.

Make sure and click through to read the document.
This morning a document was released at the National Press Club entitled An Evangelical Manifesto: A Declaration of Evangelical Identity and Public Commitment, spearheaded by Os Guinness and signed by over 80 evangelical leaders. (You can read a brief interview I conducted this week with Dr. Guinness about the document.)

The full document is over 7,400 words, and I encourage you to read the whole thing. It’s an imperfect but nevertheless (in my opinion) remarkable document that deserves serious attention. The press has latched on to the political dimension of the document, but the critique of theological liberalism is much more extensive and pointed.

In order to summarize the document and the authors’ intentions, I’ve outlined it below, freely drawing on their wording. (Do not rely, however, on my shorthand. As I said above, be sure to read the whole thing.)
 blog it

No comments: